We no longer accept cement-bonded asbestos at Recycling Centres.
Asbestos is a toxic material that was once used to make insulation and fireproofing material in construction. Because some forms of asbestos have been linked to certain lung diseases, it is no longer used in new homes. However, some older buildings may still contain asbestos, which is a hazardous waste.
We only accept household cement bonded asbestos at some of our weighbridge facilities. It must be double wrapped in heavy duty plastic wrapping prior to arriving at site. You can also use household rubble sacks that can be bought from supermarkets and other outlets, as long as the cement bonded asbestos is contained, double wrapped and sealed within the bags. You will need to take your recent council tax bill or utility bill relating to the property where the waste is from.
For hints and tips on safe removal of asbestos visit the HSE website.
Small amounts of ash or cinders from an open fire can help to keep slugs and snails off your vegetable patch.
You can also put small amounts into your general waste (non recyclable) bin at home, once cooled.